Re: ISO 3166 mandatory?

Tony Finch wrote:

> RFC 3071's comments about the crown dependencies are now obsolete

Yes, Debbie fixed this.  Unfortunately IANA introduced EU as a new
exception.

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> Do not worry, David Conrad, IANA, reads this list and he will
> certainly resolve the discrepancy today by renaming the TLD
> ".uk" to ".gb".

LOL, is that something they should do with DNAME ?  <g>

David Conrad wrote:

> IANA has permitted the use of codes ISO designates as
> "exceptionally reserved" in ISO-3166 for quite some time

IANA forgot to update RFC 1591, and ICANN forgot to update
IDP-1, or are you talking about something else ?

Bill Manning wrote:

> UM... glad to have you aboard...  www.nic.um  :)

Carribean faction, please ;-)  Some years ago I had the fun
to reorganize directory categories based on the US codes into
ISO codes, and Navassa tended to spoil the result.

> A -MUCH- more sensitive approach is to call these entities
> "economies"  :)

For that approach the UN codes might be better, if an ugly
hole near China is no problem for you.

 Frank