Re: ISP support models Re: IPv6 NAT?

--On Tuesday, 19 February, 2008 16:05 +0100 Iljitsch van Beijnum
<iljitsch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 19 feb 2008, at 15:40, Dan York wrote:
>
>>> Is this important? The external address(es) are still
>>> different.
>
>> Sure, but the home internal networks are identical.  So
>> Homeowner A   calls up the ISP support and is having a
>> problem getting a machine   to work with the wireless router
>> provided by the ISP.  So the ISP   tech says "on a working
>> machine, point your browser to 192.168.10.1   and...."
>
>> A while later Homeowner B calls in with a similar problem.
>> The ISP   tech says "on a working machine, point your browser
>> to 192.168.10.1   and..."  Same with Homeowners C, D, E and
>> so on.

Exactly

> I'm not buying that this is so important that it's worth
> having a box rewrite EVERY address in EVERY packet for.

Certainly you are entitled to that opinion.  As Dan suggests,
you probably don't have such a network or a need for it because
you, like many of the rest of us, like to fuss with
configurations or at least know how.  I would guess, just
judging from your notes to this list, that it has been a very
long time since you have called your ISP looking for help that
turns out to be about configuration of your LAN (probably as
long as it has been for me, i.e., never).

However, in much of the world, profit margins for ISPs in the
residential and SOHO business are sufficiently thin that a
single support call can wipe out a few month's of profits from
that account and one that actually requires getting someone with
knowledge on the phone can wipe out a year or more.   If one is
that ISP and has to make a choice between avoiding

		* the costs of even a few more support calls

	and

		* the costs of a box (whose cost is incurred by the
		user, not the ISP, or immediately passed on to the user)
		and some reduced performance in the user's connection
		(which, at worst, might induce the user to buy more
		bandwidth)

	the question of whether this is "so important" or even
	"important enough" is an absolute no-brainer: the
	standardized NAT configuration provides nothing but an
	upside for you (the ISP) and no downside that you care
	at all about.

Sorry, life is hard sometimes and overall network rationality
doesn't help much.

> If you really want this, you can simply create a loopback
> interface with address fc00::1 on it and users can type
> "http://[fc00::1]/"; (ok, so the brackets are annoying, but no
> NAT helps against that) and the users can connect to that
> address regardless of what the addresses used on the LAN are.

I'm not sure this helps in any useful way, since the concern
isn't reaching the home host but another host/ server (even if
only a local server) on the same LAN.

See the aside below, but, if our recommendation for moving from
IPv4 to IPv6 involves training a user who has gotten used to
typing, e.g., "http://10.0.0.5";, or maybe just "10.0.0.5", to
type http://[fc00::1]/"; we will have inserted another stumbling
block on the way to IPv6 deployment.

> If the box runs a DNS resolver and mechanisms to inform hosts
> about the resolver address, you can avoid the whole address
> typing thing.

Sure.  And I continue to be surprised that the current crop of
"home/SOHO router"  boxes don't automagically support local DNS
with a fixed set of addresses, local names, and SRV records, as
well as a LAN-boundary full-service resolver and cache.   But it
hasn't happened, which may or may not tell us something else
that we should be worried about.

> And of course the use of a proper service discovery mechanism
> is highly recommended.

Of course.  I'd also like a new pony.

Seriously (and this is the aside referred to above), I think we
are going to be in big trouble wrt IPv6 deployment at the
residential and SOHO sides of the market unless we figure out
how to provide local DNS services _and_ very strongly discourage
the use of numeric addresses in any application protocol.  We've
already got guidance against literal address use out there, but
we keep writing notes --if only to each other-- that say "no
problem, just type this increasingly-complicated address".  In
actual practice (i.e., regardless of what the standard says
about what is permitted) we have already pretty much deprecated
address literals in email addresses.  I believe that the HTTPbis
effort should deprecate their use in URLs and that we should be
moving toward deprecating their use in URIs entirely.

There is some strangeness about all of this "the user and
application should figure out how to work with and manipulate
literal addresses" stuff vis-a-vis the original decisions to
adopt what became IPv6.  To some extent, the applications folks
were told that, as long as they used names and called on TCP,
the transition to IPv6 would be largely transparent to them and
their applications and they signed off on IPv6 on that basis.
Now we are coming along and saying, effectively, that
applications have to be able to apply fairly complex algorithms
--algorithms that require some network topology knowledge-- to
sort out which addresses they are expected to use and that end
users are going to need to type IPv6 addresses (and maybe
understand their structure and other idiosyncrasies) to make
applications work well.  IMO, if IPv6 deployment is dependent on
either of those conditions, we might as well stop having this
discussion because it just won't happen.

      john