Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-hokey-erx (EAP Extensions for EAP Re-authentication Protocol (ERP)) to Proposed Standard

In reading this draft (-09 version) I came up with a few questions and
comments:

Section 3 -

Section 3 is a bit confusing it seems that much of the text is section
3.1 (detailed description of exchanges) should go into section 3.0
because it seems that much of the process should be the same for local
or remote cases.  Currently it is difficult to really tell what pertains
to local, remote and both.

It does not appear to be clear how the peer knows if it is in the "home"
case or the "local" case, whether the network is capable of ERX (and
vice versa) or how the peer knows what key to use.  Perhaps I missed
this elsewhere in the document.

Section 4 -

Section 4.1.1 duplicates text in
internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hokey-emsk-hierarchy-03.txt.   It really
should not.  It should reference KDF functions instead of PRFs.  I
believe if you replace prf+ with KDF it would be fine.  Do you want to
use the naming defined in
internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hokey-emsk-hierarchy-03.txt or are you
specifying your own?  Are these key names really necessary?  They do no
appear to be used anywhere?

Why such a long key label?

Section 5 -

Section 5.1

What state are you referencing here? I don't think the CalledStation-ID
is what you want to reference, I believe RADIUS routing is typically
done with the username when EAP is used.  Why is it only RECOMMENDED to
maintain this state?  It seems either it is a MUST or it doesn't matter.
In general authenticators do not do routing, AAA does routing.
Authenticators copy the correct attributes from EAP into the correct
attributes in the AAA message.  This seems much more complicated
(routing, multiple attributes TLVs etc).   Its not clear if the 3
sub-bullets of the first bullet refer to what the authenticator needs to
do or the peer needs to do.   It seems that the authenticator should be
able to extract a single field from the peer message to determine what
to do with it.  Either it will handle it locally or it will pass the
message within the AAA protocol copying the appropriate field into the
message.

Is the integrity checksum a keyed hash or MAC (if so why use another
term?)?  If so what key is used?  If a key is used in the context in the
packet enough to determine the key?  Is it possible that more that one
EMSK has been generated by the same peer?

Why must the authenticator rely upon the information cached from the EAP
exchange, isn't there enough information in ERX messages?   The whole
routing section is complex and is not something that authenticators
generally do now.  Why do you need an alternate to R1KName-NAI?  Why is
the peer name necessary?  Why isn't a R1KName an NAI? Should the R1Kname
sent by the server match the one sent by the client?

Section 5.1.1

It seems there is another option other than obtaining a DSRK from the
home domain, you may retrieve the rRK derived from the DSRK.  There are
also key distribuiton attributes for RADIUS defined in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zorn-radius-keywrap-13.txt and
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zorn-radius-keyreq-08.txt.
Is there a reason why we need to diverge?

Section 5.2

Ditto of most of the concerns in 5.1/5.1.1. Do we need two sections?

Section 5.3

It would be helpful if the identity field  (R1Kname-NAI) was in a
deterministic place within the packet so the authenticator has less work
to do to extract it.  I don't see why peer name is useful (or
R1Kname-TLV).