What is an IETF Last Call (was: Last Call: draft-carpenter-rfc2026-changes [...])

John C Klensin wrote:

> I have even found myself speculating on whether an appeal
> is in order (because a Last Call is an IESG action, such
> an appeal is clearly possible procedurally).

I've seen see how not issuing a Last Call can cause harm.
I didn't understand why the Jabber-ID Last Call vanished
in a black hole without stating a compelling reason here.

But I fail to see how starting a Last Call too early can
cause harm, or why you felt tempted to file an appeal.

About three years ago you explained that appeals against
proposed actions make no sense, and the earliest moment to
stop a draft by appeal is its approval, not its Last Call.

At some point in time authors need to know if investing
more time in a draft is justified, and a Last Call is one
way of a reality check.  If author + 3rd party (sponsor)
think that a draft is ready, what else should they do ?

 Frank