Re: Call for Comment: RFC 4693 experiment

On 2008-01-18 08:33, Dan York wrote:
> I have to agree with Fred here:
>
> On Jan 17, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
>> I would argue that (1) has not been shown. Several IONs have been
>> produced, but I don't see people referring to them. It looks like it
>> is being treated as a lightweight way to publish something a lot like
>> an RFC, and I'm not sure why the proper response to our present
>> situation shouldn't be to figure out what we once had - a lightweight
>> way to publish an RFC.
>
> I've been on various IETF mailing lists for a year or two now and I've
> never seen any reference to these ION documents. Obviously there must
> have been and I must have missed it... but I've not had other people
> point me to them, either.  For instance, at IETF 70, I agreed to take
> minutes for one of the sessions and when I asked if there was any
> preferred format, no one pointed me to this ION:
> http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/ions/ion-agenda-and-minutes.html
>
> Have now learned of them by this email exchange, some of the documents
> look both interesting and useful, but I'd agree with Fred that in order
> to call the series "successful" there really need to be more people
> pointing to them and using them.

That's undoubtedly true - in fact they would need to be the normal
way we post procedural stuff to the web site (i.e. things like
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html should be IONs).
If we are to make IONs permanent, I'd want to see them better
integrated in the web site as a whole, rather than being hidden
in a corner at http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/ions.html.

Just as a reminder, the idea was to have something *easier and
cheaper* than RFCs but more organized than arbitrary web pages.
Fred might note that "cheaper" with his IAOC hat on ;-).

    Brian