RE: AAAA records to be added for root servers

Title: Re: AAAA records to be added for root servers
John's email convinces me that the whole DNS issue is a red herring.

First off, nobody is ever going to set up IPv6 only email, not while there is any appreciable base of IPv4. They might add IPv6 support in addition.

Fortunately this is really easy to support. Let us imagine that we have two separate servers for the IPv4 and IPv6 support. The sysop writes an MX record as follows

example.com MX  1 1 1 smtp1.example.com
smtp1.example.com A 10.1.1.1
smtp1.example.com AAAA ......

A legacy IPv4 only SMTP server automatically chooses the A record and hits the IPv4 server. The IPv6 capable server chooses the AAAA record.

It seems to me that this is going to be the story for every useful application. We do not have to make a fetish of doing everything with IPv6 alone. That is not the world we are moving to. In the real world of the future my home machine is going to continue to outsource SMTP mail submission and DNS query resolution to external servers. It is quite possible (certain even) that at some time in the future the pool of IPv4 addresses will dwindle to the point that my house does not have its own unique IPv4 address and so the communication between my home machines and the outsourced SMTP/DNS servers takes place over IPv6.

We have 4 billion IPv4 addresses. We are most unlikely to ever get to the stage where we are so short of them that an ISP cannot find enough IPv4 addresses for their servers and other proxies.

So what if you can pull up the .com domain via IPv6? The DNS server still has to be IPv4 capable or the query will quickly fail at microsoft.com, google.com or wherever.