Re: AAAA records to be added for root servers

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:33:54PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Monday, 31 December, 2007 10:05 -0800 Barbara Roseman
> <barbara.roseman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 4 February 2008, IANA will add AAAA records for the IPv6
> > addresses of the four root servers whose operators have
> > requested it.

> While I _strongly_ favor this move, it is often, if not always,
> useful to examine the applications that use the DNS as well as
> effects on the DNS itself.

{ SMTP/MX interaction described }

> Again, there is no specific root server issue in any of this,
> but it concerns me that none of the relevant committees or
> studies appear to have considered the possible applications
> implications of the change.
>
> regards,
>      john

	actually, there was on at least two occasions the explicit
	scoping of the consideration to the DNS-specific issues.
	interactions with other applications was ruled out of scope
	regarding the issues of adding what is effectively a new
	address family to the DNS.  The general answer when needing
	to communicate between similar applications that run on
	different address families has traditionally been the application
	layer gateway (ALG) ...

--bill