Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis (Domain Name System (DNS) IANA Considerations) to BCP

At 11:50 04/12/2007, Sam Weiler wrote:
This draft does not address at least one issue raised in WGLC. It also contains substantial changes made after the close of WGLC that have received too little attention from the WG. Accordingly, I continue to oppose publication of this document[1]. I suggest that the IESG refer it back to the WG and, once a new document is advanced, issue a new IETF last call.

Sam,
most of the changes are results of the allocation experiment that was conducted. The working group was fully aware of them and the changes made to
the document see:
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2007/msg00190.html

An example of an issue raised in WGLC (in August 2006) that I think should be addressed:

The document continues to use IETF Consensus as an allocation metric. That term is deprecated in 2434bis and should be replaced. The editor appears to have agreed to make that change[2], and I've seen no follow-up discussion saying that shouldn't happen.

Yes this is an oversight on the editors part and mine as well, sorry.

And an example of one of the changes that I think has received too little review:

The document allows templates to create IANA registries. Is that altogether desirable? Has the expert been given enough guidance to review such requests?

This is an excellent IETF wide question it is outside the DNSEXT
WG expertize to judge this issue.
At this point there is no specific guidance to the expert(s) on
what to do in this case.

I have not attempted to do an exhaustive review of the 2929bis discussion, but I suspect there are other items in the above categories also.

I hope there are not any more skeletons in the closet :-)

On the positive side, I'm pleased that the document provides for permanently archived templates which can, in and of themselves, serve as adequate documentation of a typecode assignment.
good.

[1] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg01208.html
[2] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg01410.html

-- Sam