Re: DNS when target services are unavailable

John C Klensin wrote:
--On Thursday, 13 December, 2007 17:35 +0100 Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer@xxxxxx> wrote:
An important reason why we SHOULD have DNS reliability
(including geographical variety) even if service X is down is
because there are several services, not just the Web.
This is consistent with my instincts (and has been for many
years), but Dave is not the first person to take the other
position.

Well, I was less trying to take a position than to list what I thought were reasonable choices. Unfortunately I had a nagging feeling that I was missing an issue and, in fact, it was the one Stephane raised, which translates into: DNS entries need higher reliability than the services they point to.

As such, I would say that the goal of broad-spectrum -- essentially all of the operational parameters -- independence for the two servers is universal.

And yeah, this is a topic unto itself; it's relevance to IETF operations is OBE.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking