Re: Transitioning IETF DNS services

> > > Brian
> >
> > 	You need both physical (power, hardware, location) and
> > 	operational (different global prefixes, preferably different
> > 	AS's) diversity for reliable DNS.
> >
> > 	It's clear from the infomation above that the later is not
> > 	being met.
> >
> > 	Mark

> 	it -could- be that these are two XEN images on the ssmae
> 	box.   HOWEVER. the point remains taht Ray explicitly
> 	told us that this was a transitional attribute that
> 	would be corrected  before the transition was complete.
>
> 	so take a breath, go out and cut the grass (or burn it off)
> 	and try not to micro-manage the transition... this is
> 	one of those cases where operational expedience and a
> 	desire to let folks know what is happening seems to have caused
> 	an over reaction.

	I hope they correctly manage the transition.  By that I
	mean that all nameservers (both old and new) serve the
	*same* zone content during the transition.  Otherwise
	there will be servers that will stay locked on the
	old nameservers until they cease to serve the zone.

	Mark

> 	as usual, YMMV
>
> --
> --bill
>
> Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
> certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx