Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to Draft Standard (1)

The IESG wrote:

> <draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-06.txt> as a Draft Standard

> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks,
> and solicits final comments on this action.

I-D.klensin-2821bis 3.9 as before RFC 2821 3.10 state in
essence, that relays, forwarders, and mailing lists have
no business to mess with the header of a mail:

| the message header section (RFC2822 [9]) MUST be left
| unchanged

This appears to be at odds with the mailing list RFCs,
adding various List-* header fields.

It's disturbing if five IETF mail experts offer three
strictly incompatible opinions what mailing lists are
supposed to do with an existing "Sender" header field,
or if adding a "Sender" (as it's common practice) is
actually permitted.

 Frank