Re: terminology proposal: NAT+PT (or NAT64 ?)

>> The traditional NAPT model which can only permit outgoing
>> sessions is not sufficient for an effective transition from v4 to v6.
>
> Here we differ.  I find that to be good enough for the vast majority
> of cases, and in those cases where it doesn't work one can deploy
> native access so that the NAT-PT box is avoided entirely.
>
> Given that the vast majority of users are behind NAPT boxes today,
> either provided by their ISP or purchased at a store, I have a problem
> with anyone saying that providing the equivalent (poor) level of
> functionality via NAT-PT is insufficient.
the two cases aren't as similar as they may seem at first, for a couple
of reasons:

1. "users" != "hosts".  in a case where we run out of v4 addresses, it's
not sufficient to just move "users" to IPv6 and let the "services" stay
in IPv4.   and a "solution" that introduces more special cases only
creates pain.  we need a solution that supports an arbitrary mixture of
v4 and v6 peers in an application.

2. "today" != "tomorrow".  the Internet (and the way people use it)
changes significantly every two years.   analysis based on how things
are today is not reliable at predicting what will satisfy tomorrow's needs.
>   If we give v6-only users NAT-PT to access v4-only hosts and native
> (non-NAT) v6 access, that is better than they have today. The only
> other option is multi-layered v4 NAT, which is arguably worse from an
> e2e standpoint and certainly from an administrative one.
I see many other options than these.  But I'd rather spend time writing
up my proposal than answering dozens of emails about it.

>>> As a matter of fact, I like your choice of "NAT-XY" to describe the
>>> general mechanism you are working on (if I got it right). This IMHO
>>> shows the expressive power of generalizing Alain's approach,
>>> introducing a dash, as you did, to separate IP versions
>>> identifications from "NAT". What about NAT-XX, NAT-XY, NAT-44,
>>> NAT-64, NAT-46  ? I would be very happy if this debate, introduced
>>> by Ran Atkinson, would end up with such a step against confusion.
>>
>> To me NAT-64 and NAT-46 are even more confusing, because I
>> can't tell which end is which.  If sessions can be initiated from either
>> the v4 or the v6 side (which IMO is a necessary condition for the
>> translation box to be effective), what's the significance of the first
>> digit vs. the second?
>
> I find the distinction mostly useless since any NAT-PT box will
> necessarily need to translate a given flow in both directions because
> of the state involved.
>
> However, there is a potentially-useful distinction between deployment
> types. For instance, a NAT-PT box at an eyeball site that allows local
> IPv6-only hosts to access remote IPv4-only hosts will look somewhat
> different than a NAT-PT box at a content site that allows remote
> IPv6-only hosts to access local IPv4-only hosts.  (And ditto for
> reversing the versions for each case...)  We may need to distinguish
> between roles, because the expectations and configurations will
> differ, but the core technology and protocol-mangling is the same for
> all of them.
Agreed that the different cases require slightly different solutions.  I
actually think this varies on a per application basis.  But I'd rather
see a comprehensive solution developed that considers the different
cases, than to see piecemeal solutions developed for each separate
case.  I see a big advantage to having a common interface (API and
control protocol) across all of the different solutions.

Keith