Re: terminology proposal: NAT+PT (or NAT64 ?)

Rémi Després wrote:
> Keith Moore a écrit :
>>> Alain Durand proposed in 2002  :
>>> -  NAT64 for IPv6 -> IPv4
>>> -  NAT46 for IPv4 -> IPv6
>>>
>> Practically speaking, any box that translates between v4 and v6 has to
>> be able to translate in both directions.  Which side is "to" and which
>> is "from" then?  You don't want to make the assumption that the apps are
>> all client-server.
>>
> In my understanding, the address translation process in an
> intermediate box is inherently dissymetric.
> The session acceptor address, used to route the first and subsequent
> packets is left unchanged (in NAT64, its format changes, say from
> xx.yy.zz.tt to ::XY:ZT, but not its semantics)
> The connection initiator address ineeds being translated.
> In NAT44 it has to be changed because it belongs to a private IPv4
> space, not routable in the public backbone.
> In NAT64 it has to be changed because the session acceptor, which
> handles 32 bit addresses only,  is unable to  work with  the session
> initiator  address, which is 128 bits long.
you're essentially making the assumption that all apps are client-server
- i.e. that the session is always initiated in one direction across the
NAT box.  that's one of the biggest problems with traditional NATs, and
is part of what makes NAT-PT broken.
>> I agree that there are differences in the best way to provide
>> connectivity to the public IPv4 network from a private IPv4 or isolated
>> IPv6 network, and the best way to provide connectivity to the public
>> IPv6 network from an IPv4 network.  But I don't see these as inherently
>> different problems requiring a different box or a different protocol.
> In NAT64, the IPv6 session initiator IPv6 address (128 bits) contains
> the IPv4 session acceptor IPv4 address (32 bits).
actually I think this limits the applicability of this approach.  it
shouldn't be assumed that there's any direct relationship between the
interior and exterior addresses across a v6<>v4 translator.  nor, for
that matter, should it be assumed that such a box can provide
transparent IPv4-to-IPv6 conversion for arbitrary applications on a
large number of hosts without the knowledge of the applications on those
hosts.
>> I think it makes more sense for there to be a common protocol which can
>> run over either IPv4 or IPv6 and which supports multiple services.
>>
> If this means a unique design for NAT64 and NAT46, I don't see this as
> feasible.
> Trying to do it would IMHO create confusion and transform a (rather)
> simple and important problem into an overly complex and unnecessary one.
I think it's feasible because in the process of trying to describe such
a protocol.  Perhaps you would do me the favor of waiting until I
produce such a description before you denounce it as overly complex and
unnecessary?
>> Also I don't think NAT64 or NAT46 are good names because there are
>> several different ways of providing the connectivity in each direction,
>> with advantages and disadvantages to each.
>>
> Diversity of designs for the same function is IMHO not a reason to
> avoid having a good name for the function.(Would the everal ways to
> perform NAT+PT also preclude using this acronym?).
Well, if someone says "NAT-XY is good" (or bad) and NAT-XY means
different things to different people, that's fairly confusing.  Also, if
there's a need for a host or application to be able to interact
explicitly with a NAT-XY (as their certainly is) then it's helpful if
that protocol is standardized, and if NAT-XY boxes behave consistently
from one implementation to another.

Keith