Re: [Ietf-message-headers] Re: I-DAction:draft-saintandre-header-pres-00.txt

SM wrote:
> At 01:56 07-11-2007, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>> I'm not sure what you mean by "feature". According to RFC 2779, IM and
>> presence are separate domains of functionality, which is why there is an
>> im: URI scheme and a pres: URI scheme. I don't foresee other such URIs.
>
> Quoting the drafts:
>
>    Because almost all human users of instant messaging systems are users
>    of email systems, it can be helpful for such users to specify their
>    (IM/presence) URIs in the email messages they author.
>
> Although IM and presence are separate domains of functionality, the
> proposed mail headers for them :-
>
>   1. provides a standard location for the exchange of such information
>
>   2. are associated with the author of the message
>
>   3. uses similar syntax for the URI
>
>> What are "these schemes"? What is the category under which it is
>> perceived that the im: scheme and the pres: scheme are the same? Again,
>> according to RFC 2779, RFC 3859, and RFC 3860, these are separate and
>> distinct domains of functionality, which just happen to often be
>> implemented and deployed in the same systems or services.
>
> You are viewing the im: scheme and the pres: scheme from the point of
> view of their RFCs which is different from the functionality offered by
> the mail header.  In a previous email, you mentioned a generic
> solution.  My point is that it is better to have a generic mail header
> to encompass pres:, im: and other schemes that would use URIs in such a
> manner.
>
> We could have, for example, the following header:
>
> Contact-ID: pres:juliet@xxxxxxxxxxx; im:juliet@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> The MUA would process the header to determine whether there is a
> presence URI or IM URI and take appropriate action.

But what is a Contact-ID? Any means by which you could contact me might
be included in that category -- email, telephone, voicemail, fax, post
office box, various IM addresses, IRC channels where I hang out, etc.

And in fact a pres: URI does not provide a means of contact. It provides
a way for you to know about my network availability, but you can't
communicate with me via that URI, so it's not a Contact-ID at all.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/