RE: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third Last Call:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

John Klensin wrote:
> If you want to pursue this further, I think it would be helpful
> if you started supplying arguments that we haven't heard,
> repeatedly, before.  Neither repeating those arguments, nor
> making the assumption that the IETF agrees with your goals and
> priorities, seems to be causing progress in this area.   What it
> does accomplish is to get people to stop reading threads on this
> subject, which further lowers the odds of getting IETF consensus
> on a change in position.

John and others,

I have never made my proposal on ietf@xxxxxxxx before. Indeed, I only
started contributing on this list recently. I'm pleased that YOU have heard
my arguments before in other venues, but there's no reason to assume that
others here have done so. I don't assume that IETF agrees with my goals or
priorities, nor perhaps do you have any reason to assume that the broader
IETF community agrees with you.

I made my suggestion here to re-charter the IPR-WG after lurking on the list
for long enough to understand (I hope) the issues that this list considers
and the cultural environment in which those considerations occur, and long
after I became convinced that at least some of the people participating on
the much narrower IPR-WG list were culturally and philosophically unwilling
to listen to *any* arguments that IETF patent policy should be clarified or
changed.

Your reference to the older and more stubbornly traditional ISO, IEC and
IEEE merely reminds me of important counter-examples, W3C and OASIS. Each
standards organization needs to articulate its patent policy in light of its
own mission and culture. IETF is a world-wide organization of volunteers
that standardizes much of the Internet. This is an *open* Internet,
available to all. Encumbering it with non-free patents is a danger that W3C
and OASIS have addressed. I suggest that IETF should address it too!

So please stand back a bit, John, and let the arguments on all sides be
fairly raised and rebutted before the participants on this list. Let's see
if consensus does arise here. Please don't assume, as I don't assume, that
everyone who has an opinion has already spoken up.

I hope that others here will speak up.

Once again, specifically what I request is that we charter the IETF IPR-WG
to propose policies and procedures, consistent with the worldwide mission of
IETF, which will result in IETF specifications unencumbered by restrictive,
non-free patents.