From: Simon Josefsson [mailto:simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 18/10/2007 10:30 AM
To: Tim Polk
Cc: ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

Tim Polk <tim.polk@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> The IESG solicits final comments on whether the IETF community has
>>> consensus to publish draft-housley-tls-authz-extns as an experimental
>>> standard given the IPR claimed. Comments can be sent to ietf@xxxxxxxx
>>> or exceptionally to iesg@xxxxxxxxx Comments should be sent by
>>> 2007-10-23.
>>
>> I was negative to publication during the earlier last calls, and I
>> continue to be so.  The primary reason remains the uncertainty of the
>> IPR situation.  It is not clear to me that I can implement this
>> protocol
>> freely without the burden of patent licenses.  I'm speaking as a free
>> software implementer of this document (see GnuTLS, <www.gnutls.org>).
>
> As the sponsoring AD, I would like to explain why I support publication
> as an Experimental RFC.  To quote RFC 2026, “Such a specification is
> published for the general information of the Internet technical
> community
> and as an archival record of the work.” Given the technical merits of
> the
> document and the existence of independent implementations, I believe
> it is in the interest of the community to have an archival record of
> this work.

I believe that is a poor argument, because the only implementation I am
aware of is the one I wrote.  And I'm opposed to publication of the
document.

To clarify that the part of the community that I'm a member of is not
interested in supporting this technology, we have decided to remove our
implementation.  See the announcement for GnuTLS in:

  ** TLS authorization support removed.
  This technique may be patented in the future, and it is not of crucial
  importance for the Internet community.  After deliberation we have
  concluded that the best thing we can do in this situation is to
  encourage society not to adopt this technique.  We have decided to
  lead the way with our own actions.
  <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.gnutls.general/955>

I hope you will reconsider sponsoring the document.

/Simon