Re: Comments on draft-aboba-sg-experiment-02

Hi.

I've been trying to follow this discussion from a safe distance,
but, given the amount of traffic, I want to add three general
observations to the mix, possibly summarizing some earlier
comments including my own:

	(1) Drawing analogies from IEEE, or IEEE 802, procedures
	to the IETF and extrapolating what will work is a tricky
	business, if only because of different ground rules for
	participation and approval of projects and different
	assumptions about standing committees / project areas in
	the two groups.

	(2) As the discussion goes on, if appears to me that, in
	practice, an SG is little more than a normal WG with an
	unusual set of charter-time constraints.  While unusual,
	those constraints are well within the boundaries of what
	the IESG is permitted to do today.  Indeed, I believe
	that groups have been chartered under constraints and
	with responsibilities not appreciably different from
	those that would apply to an SG.  From that perspective,
	our real problem is that, in the last few years, IESG
	members have not felt that they have sufficient
	community support (or pressure) to quickly and
	efficiently shut down WGs that are drifting or otherwise
	not performing.   An SG model could provide a less
	painful shutdown point by permitting simply not
	extending the SG or not granting a WG charter, rather
	than having to shut down something that has a few
	advocates or some investment, even if it is not making
	progress.  But, as others have pointed out, that same
	opportunity exists in principle when WG benchmarks are
	not met.  Whether an SG model is effective in
	eliminating pre-project efforts that would go nowhere
	would seem to depend on precisely the same factors that
	make the possibility of WG shutdown effective: support
	by the community for identifying and shutting down
	disfunctional efforts and willingness by the ADs for
	doing so.

	(3) I am concerned about anything that creates new
	opportunities for making the process of getting work
	into, through, and out of the IETF even longer and more
	complicated.  The worst risk associated with introducing
	SGs is that, just as we have evolved from "A BOF, or
	sometimes two, are optional steps to help get a WG
	organized and focused"  to "BOFs are almost always
	required", we might evolve into the expectation of
	spending one or more IETF meetings in SGs, as well as an
	additional meeting or two in BOFs, before generating a
	typical WG charter.  In the notation of Lakshminath's
	recent chart, we have moved from "Idea -->  WG" being
	the normal case, to "Idea -->  BoF-1 --> BoF-2 --> WG"
	being the normal case, to some risk of making "Idea -->
	BoF-1 --> BoF-2 --> SG --> WG" normal.  Under some
	circumstances, that would be a year well spent.   Under
	others, it is just another year wasted in exploration,
	extended problem description, and procedures when the
	goal should be to do technical work and get useful
	results out (and to cut unfocused ideas and ideas with
	insufficient support out of the system with as little
	wasted time and energy as possible).

Nonetheless, it seems clear from the list discussions that there
are a number of people in the community who think this is worth
trying.  Precisely because it doesn't seem to create any
substantively new options or framework and because its use is
optional, it seems to me that it is worth trying, if only in the
hope of refocusing the energy that seems to be going into
discussing its details back onto technical work.   I would
suggest that the "experiment" model was designed with the
intention of permitting experiments to be flexible and that it
would be preferable to either

	* give the IESG discretion to set and evolve the details
	or

	* to establish an ad hoc experiment specification,
	modification, and evaluation group to fix and modify
	details and generally guide the experiment and advise
	the IESG and the community about successes and failures
	on an ongoing basis.

Very detailed design --whether of technology or procedures -- on
the IETF list has almost never worked for us in the past, yet it
seems that is exactly what people are trying to do with this
proposal.

Just my opinion, of course.

    john