Re: Renumbering

>>> Obviously this should be fixed. But: you may ask yourself: why is your
>>> system doing AAAA lookups when you obviously don't have IPv6
>>> connectivity?
>
>> Because the application asked it to do them?
>
> Did it?
>
> If you look up the getaddrinfo() man page (see top Google hits for a
> link to the implementation in your favorite OS) you'll see that it's
> possible to specify a protocol family or "accept any protocol family
> supported by the operating system".
>
> (But: protocol family? Didn't we call these things address families?)
>
> In my opinion, when the application says "unspecified", it's entirely
> reasonable for the OS to only supply addresses of a type that
> currently has reachability.
Well, I'm not sure what the specification means by this.  But that's
kind of a separate issue.  The point is that the application might well
have a need for AAAA records and to request AAAA records in a DNS lookup
even if the local host doesn't have external IPv6 connectivity - or
perhaps no IPv6 connectivity at all.  You don't want API second-guessing
this stuff.
>> Here's the thing.  I don't want getnameinfo() or any other API that does
>> DNS lookup to act differently depending on whether the system seems to
>> have external IPv6 connectivity or not (unless the app explicitly asked
>> for this), because my app might have a valid reason for wanting to know
>> if there's an AAAA record associated with a name even if the system
>> doesn't have external IPv6 connectivity.
>
> I agree that if an application specifically asks for something the OS
> etc shouldn't pretend it doesn't exist if it does, but I disagree that
> there are significant valid cases where this is required.
Whenever I look at what it takes to make IPv6 transition viable, I find
cases where it is essential to be able to host a IPv4 service on an
IPv6-only network and vice versa.  So I disagree.
>> The view of DNS needs to be
>> consistent from one host to another and one query to another if we want
>> applications to work reliably.
>
> Sure. (Hence the evilness of two-faced DNS. Yes, flame away.) However,
> that doesn't apply here: there is no requirement that if someone asks
> for one record type, she is informed of all other record types as well.
Provided that they get what they ask for.
> Following your logic, the Windows logic of always asking for AAAA
> records when IPv6 is enabled doesn't go far enough: it should ask for
> AAAA records even when IPv6 is disabled administratively.
If the app requests them, yes.

Keith