Re: Renumbering

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 10:16:26PM -0400,
 Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

> I don't want getnameinfo() or any other API that does DNS lookup to
> act differently depending on whether the system seems to have
> external IPv6 connectivity or not (unless the app explicitly asked
> for this),

getaddrinfo() or getnameinfo() are *not* supposed to do DNS lookups,
they are supposed to do name-to-address mapping, using whatever system
they were configured for (may be the DNS, may be LDAP, may be
/etc/hosts).

> because my app might have a valid reason for wanting to know if
> there's an AAAA record associated with a name even if the system
> doesn't have external IPv6 connectivity.

OK, then it requires a low-level system call, doing only DNS lookups
(this API already exists, BTW). getaddrinfo() is for applications who
want the high-level view.

> More generally, I don't want anything that handles DNS queries -

Then, getaddrinfo() is out of scope, since it was never conceived as a
DNS debugging tool.