Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

Marshall,

> I do not really agree with this. First, the routing tables do not care
> if you have PI or PA space, just whether
> it is announced or not. If you are already announcing PA space, and
> getting into the DFZ, it does not harm the tables if you change to PI
> space.

Sure. But I understood Michael has nothing now, so from his
point of view its a question of getting either PI from ARIN or
PA from his provider.

> Second, one of reasons I helped to write and push through ARIN 2002-3
> (micro assignments) was that I felt that small multi-homers (i.e.,
> enterprises that were multi-homed but did not need large address
> allocations) did not constitute a threat to the routing tables, and
> that has been borne out by experience. Neither the growth nor the
> bloat in the routing tables is being driven by small multi-homers.
> This has been discussed at great length on ARIN PPML and other lists.
>
> Yes, I gave numbers to Vince Fuller about millions of multi-homers,
> but that was to set an upper bound on the process. I do no believe
> that every small business will rush out and multi-home, no matter how
> automated BGP becomes. The small businesses that I know that
> multi-home (mostly high traffic volume companies providing network
> services, such as video streaming) have a business need to do so, and
> it is not realistic nor in my opinion proper to assume that they will
> not be able to do so, one way or the other.

Ok, I stand corrected. I did not realize this option was
available to the smaller entities. (But is that for IPv4,
or does it apply to IPv6, too?)

>>     There is ongoing work to try to design a better
>>     routing system that would be capable of keeping
>>     tens of millions of prefixes or more, in the IRTF.
>>     If and when that work succeeds, it would be possible
>>     to allocate everyone their own PI prefix. We are
>>     not there yet.
>>
>> In any case, FWIW, I think it would make sense for RIR
>> address allocation rules to allow IPv6-only operations
>> and not just those that need both IPv4 and IPv6 address
>> space.
>
> I fully agree here. In fact, I would say that IPv6 will have truly
> succeeded when business requests start coming in
> that do _not_ want IPv4 space. This should be encouraged, not
> discouraged.

Yep.

Jari