Re: Symptoms vs. Causes

At Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:58:12 +0200,
Eliot Lear wrote:

> Erik,

Eric.

> You have to put the two together.  If we do, we find that we can solve
> the UI problem by taking authentication OUT of known insecure
> components.  But that requires a protocol to that authentication
> component.  If one exists, what is it?  It requires process
> interactions.  What are those?   All of this needs to be written down IN
> THIS CONTEXT.  The secure communication path must be capable of opaquely
> traveling through a host without knowledge of IP address, for instance.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. This problem can
be solved entirely in the client side software without any
intervension on the wire or in the server, as PwdHash demonstrates
[though of course one could argue that a superior protocol is needed.]
What you're describing sound like secure software architecture issues,
not protocol issues.

> We've done stuff like this before, but not in this context.  TLS depends
> on IP address.

TLS does not depend on IP address.

-Ekr