Re: Symptoms vs. Causes

At Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:32:34 +0200,
Eliot Lear wrote:

> Eric Rescorla wrote:
> > None of the systems I mentioned (TLS-PSK, SRP, PwdHash) has this
> > problem--provided that the user actually uses the new authentication
> > method and doesn't type his password into some Web form. But of
> > course that's a UI problem, not a protocol problem.
> >
> As I wrote, the problem is in both places. For one thing, TLS-PSK, SRP,
> and PwdHash all have the problem that they require some sort of secure
> interface on what is generally an insecure platform.

Yes, but this is not a protocol problem, it's a UI problem--an unsolved
one, I might add, but not an issue for the IETF.

> What is needed is
> a way to modularize and isolate those authentication transactions.  Sam
> claims it can be done in software - fine.  What is the communication
> path to and from?  What's the architecture?

Each of these approaches has a fairly obvious architecture. In fact,
Digest, which I forgot to mention in my previous message,
already has a pre-existing architecture, and PwdHash works with
the existing architecture.

-Ekr