Re: [Ietf-http-auth] Re: Next step on web phishing draft (draft-hartman-webauth-phishing-05.txt)

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 11:56:15AM -0700, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> At Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:52:00 -0500,
> Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > Are you saying that a design team can't have "consensus" or "consensus
> > calls"?  Surely they can, though consensus internal to design teams
> > cannot, and, indeed, must not be binding on any other aspect of IETF
> > processes.
>
> Indeed. And so when the "document shepherd" implies that he or the
> AD will be issuing consensus calls, I think that implies something
> quite different from some internal design team consensus call.

I don't see the implication.

> > So my question is: is the ietf-http-auth mailing list intended to act as
> > a forum for a design team working on draft-hartman-webauth-phishing?
>
> Good question. Let's ask the author of the document, who is the only
> person who can speak to the future direction of an individual
> submission. Sam?

Actually, looking at the I-D's state and the IESG evaluation record I
see that it is not clear that the document either passed or failed IETF
LC, and that it might yet be approved.

> > I think that's exactly what's happening.
>
> That's not what I see, unless Alexey suddenly became the author of
> the document. Rather, I see someone claiming to be the document
> shepherd acting under the direction of the AD talking about the
> way forward. How is that the author revising the document, trying
> to build consensus, etc.?

Why on Earth couldn't Sam let Alexey run a design team to come up with
improvements that Sam could make to the I-D?

Of course, we've not heard from Sam on this (or if we have, I've missed
it -- I don't subscribe to the main ietf list).

Nico