RFC 1345 as an input method

One part I didn't catch when first replying to this thread was Ben's focus on input methods.
I'm curious about that - could someone give more details?

In particular:

- How do the input methods deal with finding the end of a mnemonic? While a lot of character mnemonics of 1345 are 2-characer, there are a lot that are not , and there doesn't seem to be a consistent character set for "intermediate" and "ending" characters ("16" is "VULGAR FRACTION ONE SIXTH", while "16." is "NUMBER SIXTEEN FULL STOP").

I'm curious to learn about whether the IMEs (EMACS and SCIM was mentioned) actually use 1345 or some adapted subset of it - if the latter, documenting the adapted subset that has proved useful in practice might be a worthwhile exercise.

                    Harald