Re: RFC 1345 mnemonics table not consistent with Unicode 3.2.0

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> (1) What be the point of an update to RFC 1345?  A modern developer
> should be going directly to the ISO and Unicode documents for
> reference.

RFC 1345 gives mnemonic strings for many useful characters, and there
are a number of character input systems that use this standard for the
purpose of standard key sequences for entering those characters.

I'm not aware of a Unicode or ISO table similar to the table of
character mnemonics in RFC 1345, leaving an update to the RFC as the
best option I can see. I'd be happy to learn of a freely-implemented
popular standard mnemonic table that is equal or better.

> (2) If *you* think an update would be a worthwhile exercise, you
> have thereby nominated yourself for writing the internet draft for
> an update.

Perhaps. I don't have anything close to the knowledge that obviously
went into the writing of RFC 1345.

> Good luck finding someone to review it.

I'll take that as your note of disinterest in the topic. Thanks for
discussing so far.

I wonder if there aren't others closer to IETF than me who also feel
RFC 1345 serves a useful purpose as described above.

--
 \       "It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once."  |
  `\                                                     -- David Hume |