Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

Thomas,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 07:26:03PM -0400, Thomas Narten wrote:

> This is the key point. And as David well knew when he posted his note,
> LIRs are not end sites and are treated _very_ differently. A /32 is
> the default minimum size an LIR gets.

What you are saying here is that there is no "one size fits all policy".

> For those not familiar with the
> terminology, an LIR is what we usually think of as a ISP or provider,
> where the organization provides internet connectivity for a number of
> other organizations.

The definition of LIR is different in different Regional Registries. I
can think of at least one region where there is no connection between
being an LIR and providing connectivity to other organizations.

> As a data point, ARIN (in the last year) adopted a IPv6 PI for end sites
> doing multihoming policy. Such end sites get a /48.

The policy says something different:

"The minimum size of the assignment is /48. Organizations requesting a
 larger assignment must provide documentation justifying the need for
 additional subnets."

(from "6.5.8.2. Initial assignment size":
 http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six582)

Again, no "one size fits all" policy.

David Kessens
---