Re: draft-williams-on-channel-binding: IANA rules too complicated

Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Jeffrey> Sam Hartman wrote:
>     >> Unless there is strong support for the more complex
>     >> registration process in the draft, we'd like to go to expert
>     >> review.
>
>     Jeffrey> The technical argument in favor of a review list, whether
>     Jeffrey> a special list for this purpose or some pre-existing list
>     Jeffrey> such as SecDir, is that it is not always easy to find
>     Jeffrey> experts who are familiar with both of the protocols being
>     Jeffrey> bound.  As a result, having more reviewers is a safety
>     Jeffrey> net.  This is especially important for reviews of
>     Jeffrey> security protocols.
>
> How would you feel about an optional review list?
>
> IESG experience has shown that mandatory review steps in previous
> registries tend to add frustration.  There are cases where optional
> review lists do add value.
>
> --Sam
I'm not sure what the issue is here.  The requirement that the draft
makes is that there be a list and that after posting to the list that
the assigned expert wait two weeks for any reviews that might be
received before making a decision.   I do not believe that a two week
review period is burdensome nor do I believe that having a public list
that interested parties can monitor is a bad thing.

Perhaps if you described the problems the IESG believes might occur with
this process I might feel differently.

Jeffrey Altman