Re: draft-williams-on-channel-binding: IANA rules too complicated

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Sam Hartman wrote:
>> Unless there is strong support for the more complex registration
>> process in the draft, we'd like to go to expert review.
>
> The technical argument in favor of a review list, whether a special
> list for this purpose or some pre-existing list such as SecDir, is that
> it is not always easy to find experts who are familiar with both of the
> protocols being bound.  As a result, having more reviewers is a safety
> net.  This is especially important for reviews of security protocols.

Another reason is accountability: the registration applications and
for future expert reviewers, to be able to review past behaviour and
considerations when dealing with new situations.

> I do not believe that the registration process defined in this draft is
> particularly burdensome.  It is a well defined process with time limits
> that will provide a predictable response time for requesters.  It
> doesn't limit the Area Director's ability to select an expert to perform
> the review.  It simply provides for transparency and public comment on
> the registration.
>
> I believe the registration procedure should be implemented as described
> in the draft.

I agree.

Btw, I couldn't find any checks to make sure that the name prefixes of
channel bindings turn out to be unique?  To solve it, always adding (for
example) a ':' between the IANA allocated and the actual channel binding
value would be useful.  Consider if 'TLS1' and 'TLS1.2' are registered.
Consider a channel binding value for 'TLS1' that, through some encoding,
starts with '.2', thereby forming 'TLS1.2' at the beginning.  Maybe this
problem is already solved, although I have missed it.  Any pointers to
particular sections?

/Simon