Re: Should I* opinions be afforded a special status? (Re: [saag] Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

Lakshminath,

Just commenting from my own experience with & views
about the BOF process...

I don't think the fact that someone is in the I* means
their opinions necessarily carries more weight than
other opinions.

This does not imply that all opinions carry the same
weight. Informed, well justified opinions are taken
more seriously. We listen more to people who are
involved in an issue or whose networks are affected
than outsiders. We care about management concerns,
e.g., completing existing efforts before starting new
ones, so we listen to the involved managers.

When considering a BOF request, I personally
try to think about what will happen at the BOF
and after it. One way of doing this is to contact
experts in the field, managers (chair, AD, external
SDO manager, etc) of related efforts, customers of
for the proposed functionality, etc. And listen to what
they say. This gives you a pretty good prediction
of what the mike line in the meeting would say,
and helps you determine whether the effort is
ready for a BOF. The readiness level is important,
particularly for a 2nd (last) BOF.

Now, some subset of the people listed above are
likely to be found in the IESG or IAB. As you probably
know, the IESG and IAB have a teleconference where
proposed BOFs are discussed, and we get both the
type of input falling in the above categories, as well
as generalist/architectural feedback. When there
is significant discussion about a proposal from some
members in this call or when I know someone is
a key expert on the topic, I try to get them involved
on the list, conference calls with the proponents, etc.
Because, clearly, there needs to be a discussion, but
also because we need to keep our discussions out
in the open. This is not always possible, but in those
cases the AD has to understand the issue well enough
to take his or hers own position, be able to explain
it to others, etc.

But at the end of the day, the AD has to make a
decision based on the input he or she has gotten
and own views. He needs to weight the different
inputs appropriately, understand if there are any
significant technical issues, etc. The own views are
important, too;  the ADs should be guiding the effort
towards an improvement in the Internet, not merely
observing opinions of others. In any case, the AD has to
justify the decision on his own, not by merely
referring to expert opinions.

Anyway, my experience is that I often find myself torn
between (a) granting a BOF request because which is what
the proponents want and (b) asking them to do something
else such as re-scope or write documents because that is
what I feel would take us to the desired end result sooner.
The desired end result is, of course, published specs and
a better Internet, not merely having a meeting.

Jari