RE: comments on draft-houseley-aaa-key-mgmt-07.txt

Hi Bernard,

________________________________

	From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:bernarda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
	Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:49 AM
	To: Narayanan, Vidya; Dondeti, Lakshminath; Sam Hartman
	Cc: Dan Harkins; ietf@xxxxxxxx
	Subject: RE: comments on draft-houseley-aaa-key-mgmt-07.txt

	Vidya said:

	"In my understanding, Dan's claim is that the server is unable
to detect
	that an authenticator is claiming an incorrect identity and by
virtue of
	that, if the authenticator claims the false identity to both the
peer
	and the server, a key will be provided to the authenticator and
that
	will match the key that the peer derives, even if the identity
was part
	of the key derivation. This is the problem that I have detailed
in my
	earlier email and I belive that can be resolved with the text I
	proposed. "

	This problem will exist whenever the peer does not receive an
	indication of whether an authenticator is authorized.  For
example,
	where the AAA exchange is bypassed, the backend server does not
receive
	the authenticator identity claim so that there is no mutual
authentication
	between the authenticator and server, no verification of the
	authenticator identity by the server, and no channel binding
exchange.

<Vidya>

Yes. Also, when RADIUS proxies are present, for instance, the AAA
exchange and protection may only be hop-by-hop, right? In that case, I
would think that the SA is not tied to the NAS ID - would the result of
that also not be that the authenticator identity ends up not being
explicitly authenticated?

Thanks,
Vidya