Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes

Adrian Farrel wrote:

> 3. Are notes to the RFC Editor inserted in the I-D tracker?
>    I certainly haven't seen them there in the past.

It's at the end of the "IESG evaluation record".  There you'll
find a draft of the approval announcement, and that contains
Note to RFC editor + IESG note + IANA note (if any), example:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=print_ballot&ballot_id=2253

>    In any case, we would still like to see why this note to
>    the RFC Editor is suitable to address the DISCUSS.

If the discussion triggered by a DISCUSS in in private mails
or on the WG list you won't find it in the tracker.  But you
see *_when_* it was cleared, so if there's a new I-D between
the DISCUSS and the updated ballot it's probably related.

BTW, the new "last call" boilerplate is better, thanks to
(wild guess) Lisa.  Among other improvements it has a link
to the draft tracker.

>> But the WG Chair is the PROTO shepherd and does have
>> responsibility.

> The PROTO shepherd has this responsiblity and may be the
> WG chair?

Yes, they're supposed to watch the tracker and report issues
to the WG and/or authors.  Of course the responsible AD is
free to shepherd the procedure directly.  The shepherds also
check that RFC editor + authors don't introduce substantial
modifications in AUTH48 (the last weak point in this maze -
but IMO the most critical point is the "Note to RFC editor",
apparently we're supposed to check this step and to cry foul
a.s.a.p., ideally before the approval is published).

> How about allowing PROTO shepherds to post to the I-D tracker?

Can't they ?  At least the questionnaire (modulo 1F) is posted.

Frank