RE: "Discuss" criteria

My point is that in the case that you have a minority defending a status quo there is only one side that needs to progress. So a minority can feel that it has no need to compromise because it has a veto.

So consensus in that case turns out to be the tyranny of an obstructionist minority.

If you have a chair who is doing their job properly and honestly this need not be a problem. The process pretty much fails if the chair is part of the obstructionist minority.

On the ideology point, I tend to think of ideology as being when someone refuses to examine the situation or engage in an argument because they already know the answer and there is absolutely no possibility that they are wrong.

A consensus approach only works if either there are no ideological factions or everyone shares the same ideology.