Re: Something better than DNS?

On Nov 28, 2006, at 4:31 PM, Emin Gun Sirer wrote:

Stephane & Phillip,

I'm thinking of writing a short report that summarizes the invaluable discussion here and beefing up the system sketch. I think we now agree that it is possible to have multiple operators manage names in a single, shared namespace without recourse to a centralized super-registry.

You might want to review patent 7,065,587 as well. Rather than a hierarchical name space, there are GUIDs and "friendly names" socially structured into groups. In addition to friendly names, GUIDs can combine with DNS names as well. There is no need for a super-registry, but rather a way to generate GUIDs. Perhaps this is the structure of things to come, where belonging to a group matters more than a centralized authority.

-Doug