Re: Something better than DNS?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 07:32:00AM -0500,
 Emin Gun Sirer <egs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 48 lines which said:

> A basic course on distributed systems will cover lots of design
> alternatives where R1 and R2 are symmetric, mutually distrusting and
> there exists no super-registry,

Feel free to give pointers, specially to systems which have been
deployed. From what I remember from my time in the academic world, the
imagination of the researchers in distributed systems is limitless and
they have invented protocols for everything. But few of them have been
deployed.

In the database area, we just start to have multi-master setups
deployed, even despite the fact that the masters are *not*
mutually distrusting.

> If anyone would like some design alternatives for a way to establish
> whether R1 or R2 acquired the name first, without a super-registry,
> I'll be happy to outline them.

This would be a very interesting Internet-Draft to read. But I suggest
to write the I-D on CoDoNS first :-)

I sincerely hope that we can find one day, better systems than the
DNS. But I'm very skeptical.

> But I'll do this only if asked.

Consider it done.

> Judging by the tone of the msgs, the folk on this list believe
> themselves to be an expert at all things distributed and resembling
> a name-service,

I am may be an expert in name service but certainly not in distributed
systems. What I may be is an expert on snakeoil detection. I see
CoDoNS as having two parts, one is a very interesting system to
replace the DNS servers by a better P2P protocol (a part which is
certainly worth a RFC). The other is vague claims of being able to
replace the complete registry system.

> so no point covering elementary topics.

I certainly appreciate "Distributed systems for ignorants" lectures. I
could learn a lot. Just do not mix "ignorants" (who can learn and who
want to learn) and "dummies", who just deserves marketing talk like
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4954208.stm.