Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

Hi,
> I think that the single change most likely to keep WGs on track is to ensure
> that they do not have a single dominant participant, eg one who is both chair
> and
> author of key I-Ds.  The WGs I see most at risk of going round in circles and/or
> producing output that falls short of what is needed are ones such.
>
> Some time ago, I did hear an IESG member talk of this in such a way as to make
> me think that this was an understood problem, but nothing seems to have changed
> in the two or so years since then.

Perhaps it is an unwritten rule, but I thought this battle was fought
and won years ago.  Perhaps you should discuss the specific problem with
the AD and or the IESG.  I can't recall the last time I was involved in
a group in which the chair played an active role in authoring.  And as
someone who did that way many years ago, I strongly advise against it.

> And, of course, I believe that there is more to good engineering than just
> engineering eg the right processes.

Ding ding!

Eliot