RE: Last Call: 'A Process Experiment in Normative Reference Handl ing' to Experimental RFC (draft-klensin-norm-ref)

Eric (Rosen),

	Irrespective of opinions about the nature of the current
process, if one RFC is advanced significantly ahead of another
one that it has a normative dependency on, it is possible that
the state of the art will migrate between one advancement, and
the other.

	In the event that this occurs, the documents will be out
of synch - irregardless of the actual state of the art.  It is
simple to fix that - either advance both at the same time, or
allow them to be out of synch based on a speculative assertion
that de-synchronization will not occur.

	In the latter case, it is certainly reasonable to allow
that de-synchronization may occur - and that appears to be the
intent of the note in this draft proposed process experiment.
The risk is that - if the normative reference is advanced, and
this produces a de-synchronization of the documents, then the
referring Draft Standard will have to be updated as well.

	Consequently, I - for one - see nothing either false or
misleading in the proposed note.  I also find that addition of
such a note is substantially less onerous than alternatives we
have now...

--
Eric (Gray)

Your mail included [paraphrased]:
--- [SNIP] ---
-->
--> Frankly, I think this [waver] procedure is outrageous, and entirely
--> unacceptable. The fact [...] that the referenced document has not
--> gone through some bureaucratic process does not mean that it is any
--> less stable, or that any more caution is required in its use.
-->
--> Inserting this [language] about technology which may be well-proven
--> and widely deployed will be extremely misleading to the industry.
-->
--> I think that any rule which requires us to insert false and misleading
--> statements in the documents should be strongly opposed.
-->