Re: [Techspec] RFC Author Count and IPR

Bob Braden wrote:
*> *> I am concerned that the current RFC Editor practice that limits the *> number of authors is in conflict with the IETF IPR policies. The RFC *> Editor currently limits the author count to five people. Recent IPR *> WG discussions make it clear to me that authors retain significant copyright.

Note that the number 5 is not magic here.  When the phenomenon of
balooning lists of authors (say, one or more from every telecom vendor
you ever heard of) was first noticed, there was a discussion on the
IETF list.  The community consensus was that author list inflation was
"un-IETF".  I don't recall the details (there may have been a last call
from the IESG, but I am not sure), but it was left to the RFC Editor to
formulate the precise guideline.
The Last Call on draft-rfc-editor-author-lists was issued on May 20, 2002, and the IESG approved that document on August 27, 2002, according to the tracker:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=8778&rfc_flag=0

On Jan 3, 2005, it was marked "dead" based on the fact that the text had been incorporated into the 2223bis draft. So it's been almost 4 years since IETF consensus was declared for this policy.

                              Harald