Re: [Techspec] RFC Author Count and IPR

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Bob Braden wrote:

 *>
 *> Bob -
 *>
 *> Following Jari's link to the document (ID) with 20 authors I found:
 *>
 *> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pwe3-dynamic-ms-pw-00.txt
 *>
 *> which lists 3 editors on the front page and includes a section (17)
 *> titled "Author Information" which includes 20 addresses.

Lucy,

You are suggesting that the definition of "author" is determined by some
tool that produces the pretty graph.  I don't think so.  In all
documentation related to the RFC Editor, an author is a person listed
on the first page.  I cannot explain what was in the mind of the
person writing the tool.

Bob -

This is exactly the question I'm trying to get clarity on. Russ's
initial email implied that there may be a submerged IPR issue if
we limit the number of authors listed on the front page AND hold that
document "authors" continue to hold IP rights. I don't know enough
about the history of IP ownership vs acknowledged authorship to be
able to tell how serious an issue this may be.

Let me try re-stating my question. Is there a one-to-one relationship between the listed authors on an IETF document and ownership of the
given document's Intellectual Property?

- lel

Bob Braden

--
Lucy E. Lynch 				Academic User Services
Computing Center			University of Oregon