Re: Authors and Editors (was Re: RFC Author Count and IPR)

  *> From ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx  Wed May 24 12:46:43 2006

Spencer Dawkins wrote:

  *> People can tell me that I've been misleading WG chairs and editors, but what
  *> I've been saying in the WG Leadership tutorial is that the 5-author limit
  *> resulted from
  *>
  *> - the practice of contacting authors at AUTH48, only to find out that more
  *> authors increase the likelihood of job changes and/or e-mail bounces, plus
  *>

No.  The practice of contacting all authors was a RESULT of the author
limitation and the desire to prevent vanity publishing.

  *> - several "dog-pile" author lists on drafts with a huge number of authors,
  *> leading us to suspect that this was an effort to demonstrate "support" from
  *> a large group of vendors ("so this should be a WG draft and WGLCed
  *> immediately"), plus
  *>

YES! This was the major motivation.  Augmented by the concept that the
IETF is about individuals, not about corporations.

  *> - text formatting software that "broke" when the author list wouldn't fit on
  *> one page because there were so many authors.
  *>

No.  What is true is that the historical format of the first page gets
kinda ugly with a large list of authors.  This was certainly not the
gating concern, however.

Bob Braden

  *> But I'm still thinking...
  *>