Re: Impending publication: draft-iab-idn-nextsteps-05

In general, I think some of the specific recommendations in section 4
are poorly researched.  I think it is bad advice to even suggest
people to look into the solution outlined in section 4.3.  It seems to
me that adopting the approach would break backwards compatibility in
Unicode for most European languages, which would be a serious problem.

2.2.8.  Versions of Unicode
   An example of the type of change that appears to be just a small
   correction from one perspective but may be problematic from another
   was the correction to the normalization definition in 2004 [Unicode-
   PR29].

I believe it should be noted here that this was discovered after
Unicode 3.2 was published, and consequently doesn't apply to the
original Unicode 3.2.  I.e., change 'PR29].' into:

   PR29], which was discovered after Unicode 3.2 was published.

Further:

   There was community input that the change would cause problems for
   Stringprep, but UTC decided, on balance, that the change was
   worthwhile.  Because of difficulties with consistency, some
   deployed implementations have decided to adopt the change and
   others have not, leading to subtle incompatibilities.

Similarly, here it would be useful that some IDNA implementers have
adopted the fix despite that it doesn't apply to Unicode 3.2, and that
IDNA reference Unicode 3.2 explicitly.  The subtle incompatibilities
are not the direct result of Unicode Consortium's actions, but the
choice made by some implementers.

For the record, my implementation, Libidn, implement the original
Unicode 3.2 semantics.

I suggest replacing 'incompatibilities.' with:

   incompatibilities, despite that the change does not apply to the
   version of Unicode that IDNA uses.

Thanks.