Re: Last Call: 'The Base16, Base32, and Base64 Data Encodings' to Proposed Standard

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 4/10/06 6:34 PM, "John C Klensin" <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> --On Tuesday, 11 April, 2006 11:26 +1000 Mark Andrews

>>>       Work in progress. draft-ietf-dnsext-nsec3-04.txt needs to
>>>       be update to say base32 extended hex and reference this
>>>       draft.
>>
>> But such a reference from the Base16, Base32,... draft is not
>> normative.  To simply give (clearly non-normative) examples,
>> with each encoding, of where it is used or expected to be used
>> seems to me to helpful to the reader and to cost almost nothing.
>>
>>     john
>>

> I was concerned that we might be defining an option that no one needed and
> that would just encourage more variations where they were not needed. The
> fact that nsec3 has chosen to use this particular form is good enough proof
> for me that there is a need for the base32 extended hex form. I agree a
> informative ref to the work in progress will help people fine examples of
> where it was used and perhaps have a better understanding of where and why
> they might pick a particular form. All sounds good.

I agree with this discussion, and have added an informational
reference to the NSEC3 document in the base32hex section.  The updated
version can be found at:

http://josefsson.org/base-encoding/draft-josefsson-rfc3548bis.txt

with rfcdiff's to the -02 version in last call at:

http://josefsson.org/base-encoding/draft-josefsson-rfc3548bis-from--02.diff.html

Thanks.