Re: [narten@xxxxxxxxxx: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 19:49 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 15-apr-2006, at 18:54, Christian Huitema wrote:
[..]
> It's really too bad, because we almost have what we need to pull this
> whole scalability thing off in IPv6: stateless autoconfig, DHCPv6
> prefix delegation, dynamic DNS updates, MIPv6, shim6. The only thing
> missing is some finishing touches (ok, more than "some" for shim6,
> but it is moving along) and for firewall vendors to jump on the
> bandwagon and move away from hardcoded IP address based filters.

Iljitsch, please stop seeing the 'bad' side about this. If people really
are going to stick millions of routes into BGP they will hang themselves
anyway as they will be the ones having to buy the fat new shiny routers
for lots of cash, which can then be provided by all those nice
consultants and vendors who thrive on things like that. The funniest
thing is that due to the open process we can always point fingers *evil
grin*.

But I don't see a problem at all as I mentioned before.

The bright point is that the PI space provides something really good:
 - Folks will have their Globally Unique address space.
On which they can rely that it will be theirs for a long time.
Which means that it can be used as a perfect identifier for setups like
shim6.

The "PI space" will then reside in their own network, while when the
packet goes over the internet, at the moment it crossed their border,
the packet gets translated to the address space of the upstream
provider, when arriving at the other side it gets translated back into
the "PI space".

This will make them happy and keep the routing table very small. Just
like the original idea of doing IPv6 PA was :)

Greets,
 Jeroen