Re: Copyright status of early RFCs

John and Brian -

My jaw dropped when I saw this query come through.

I thought that wide replication of the series was the whole
point.  If there are issues, I thought they had to do with derivative
works.  For example, a particularly risk-averse author of a new
book might query whether "publication of 3 random pages from each
RFC" falls within the scope of allowable actions.

I would take the position that checking with authors is not necessary
because permission has already been granted for replication of unmodified
RFCs.  It would not seem a stretch for the IETF chair, the IAB, and
the RFC Editor to take a similar position.

If a position is taken to the contrary, I would be more than happy
to undertake the publishing project and invite the relevant parties
to bring legal action.

Carl