RE: PI space (was: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them)

    > From: "Michel Py" <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    >> Needless to say, the real-time taken for this process to complete
    >> - i.e. for routes to a particular destination to stabilize, after a
    >> topology change which affects some subset of them - is dominated by
    >> the speed-of-light transmission delays across the Internet fabric. You
    >> can make the speed of your processors infinite and it wqwon't make
    >> much of a difference.

    > The past stability issues in BGP have little to do with latency and
    > everything to do with processing power and bandwidth available to
    > propagate updates.

The past stability issues had a number of causes, including protocol
implementation issues, IIRC.

In any event, I was speaking of the present/future, not the past. Yes, *in
the past*, processing power and bandwidth limits were an *additional* issue.
However, that was in the past - *now*, the principal term in stabilization
time is propogation delay.

    > In other words, it does not make any difference in the real world if
    > you're using a 150ms oceanic cable or a 800ms geosynchronous satlink as
    > long as the pipe is big enough and there are enough horses under the
    > hood.

If you think there aren't still stability issues, why don't you try getting
rid of all the BGP dampening stuff, then? Have any major ISP's out there done
that?

	Noel