Re: Making IETF happening in different regions

On 29-mrt-2006, at 14:13, Julien Laganier wrote:

I do not agree that the cost for "rest of the world" participants is
necessarily higher when me meet in US. It is usually cheaper for me to
travel from EU to US than to travel from EU to EU. For example I paid
350 euros and 460 euros to go from France to Washington DC and San
Francisco, respectively. That's more or less the minimum I am used to
pay for intra-EU trips.

So what's your secret? For me it has been 500+ on my last few trips and Vancouver would have been around 800 euros. The Vienna and Paris IETF meetings were much cheaper than that for me, especially Paris since it's easily reachable by train from the Netherlands. I also travelled to Vienna by train but flying would have cost the same (~200 euros IIRC). Even if travel is the same Europe is generally cheaper because I don't have to include a saturday night to take the edge off of the jet lag and/or get a decent rate for a flight.