Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

Keith Moore writes:

> don't think upgrade; think coexistence.

How do IPv4 and IPv6 coexist?  Like ASCII and EBCDIC, perhaps?

> As an engineer, the right thing to do is to transition away from NAT
> (along with IPv4), so that eventually it can be discarded.

I'm not aware of a smooth transition option; how does it work?

And NAT is economically driven. Unless ISPs stop charging for extra
addresses, it's hear to stay.

> for some applications, it's simply impractical; for other apps, it's
> much more expensive (in terms of added infrastructure and support costs)
> to operate them in the presence of NAT.  in either case the market for
> those apps is greatly reduced, and the apps are more expensive as a result.

It might still be cheaper than converting them to IPv6.

> again, this doesn't really solve the problem - it only nibbles off a
> small corner of it.  NATs do harm in several different ways - they take
> away a uniform address space, they block traffic in arbitrary
> directions, they hamper appropriate specification of security policies,
> and these days they often destroy transparency.

Agreed, but they reduce the amount of money you must pay to your ISP
each month by a factor of ten or more.

> the reason this looks so complicated compared to NATs is that NATs never
> really worked all of this stuff out.  NATs started with a simple design,
> pretended it would work well without doing the analysis, and have been
> trying to fix it with bizarre hacks ever since that have only made the
> problem worse.

People will go to great lengths sometimes to save money.