Re: Jabber chats (was: 2 hour meetings)

Stig Venaas wrote:
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
From: Tim Chown [mailto:tjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Well, if we make remote participation too good, we may end up with rather empty meeting rooms and a bankrupt IETF ;) What we should do, given the rush of work that happens pre-ID cutoff, is maybe look at such technology for interim meetings, and have the IETF support some infrastructure to help interim meetings run more
effectively, maybe even without a physical meeting venue.   Some WGs
might then run more interim virtual meetings and help distribute the workload over the year more smoothly.
You mean like holding a bi-weekly teleconference?

VOIP is getting to the point where this is practical.

Personally I find jabber (and similar technologies) much more convenient
than voice. I've used that a few times with a small group of people to
discuss and solve technical problems. I feel it allows more interactive
discussions and is also easier non-native English speakers,
Agreed. It is impossible to catch up voice-based communication again if you miss it once.

In addition to this, jabber-based chats makes me - non native English speaker (actually listener in
most of time) - verify whether I am following up the discussion or not.

Thanks to kind jabber scribers (surely including Stig) of WG meetings that I have attended so far.