Re: Jabber chats (was: 2 hour meetings)

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>> From: Tim Chown [mailto:tjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
>> Well, if we make remote participation too good, we may end up
>> with rather empty meeting rooms and a bankrupt IETF ;)
>>
>> What we should do, given the rush of work that happens pre-ID
>> cutoff, is maybe look at such technology for interim
>> meetings, and have the IETF support some infrastructure to
>> help interim meetings run more
>> effectively, maybe even without a physical meeting venue.   Some WGs
>> might then run more interim virtual meetings and help
>> distribute the workload over the year more smoothly.
>
> You mean like holding a bi-weekly teleconference?
>
> VOIP is getting to the point where this is practical.

Personally I find jabber (and similar technologies) much more convenient
than voice. I've used that a few times with a small group of people to
discuss and solve technical problems. I feel it allows more interactive
discussions and is also easier non-native English speakers,

I think using the wg jabber rooms we got for regular discussions of
specific issues is a great idea.

Stig