RE: [Pppext] Re: Last Call: 'Accommodating an MTU/MRU greater than1492 in PPPoE' to Informational RFC

Correct, but it could be in the order of 20k or more sessions trying to
come up at once after the outage of a BRAS box. For the broken clients
asking for 1500, it is more overhead to timeout and retry something
else. Whatever can be avoided reasonably is a bonus.

> Why is that a cost worth optimizing -- especially at the risk of
> losing correctness?
>
> > as BRAS may
> > not be able to turn off that verification selectively either as it
> > wouldn't be certain which clients really are asking for 1500 MRU
(due to
> > underlying network really supporting it) or which are asking 1500
MRU
> > due to their config/implementation being broken. Seems fixing these
> > broken clients would be a much overhead for Service provider.
>
> Right, I think that may well be one of the concerns: existing old
> implementations that use an incorrect MTU would end up causing the
> peer to probe and time out.
>
> I think it'd still be possible to do something reasonable here without
> the extra flag, but it's probably not worth the effort.
>
> However, that doesn't mean that turning off the check for new
> implementations with this new feature is a good idea.  I think it's a
> hazard and I see no benefit.

May be there would be cases where ISP is sure that their underlying
network and clients support 1500 MRU indeed...

Veera

<james.d.carlson@xxxxxxx>
> Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442
2084
> MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442
1677