RE: [Pppext] Re: Last Call: 'Accommodating an MTU/MRU greater than1492 in PPPoE' to Informational RFC

Veera Tubati (vtubati) writes:
> > I don't quite understand, but it sounds to me like a design issue for
> > the BRAS and not a protocol issue.  If it wants, that machine could
> > sequence the link bring-up so that it spreads out the load, or it
> > could just use a more capable hardware platform.
>
> It is clear that is not an issue with the protocol, but seems there are
> practical reasons which pushed for the birth of this draft.

That seems unrelated to the potential performance issue I thought we
were discussing.

In any event, the draft authors wanted explicit signaling because of
the behavior of the existing PPPoE implementations.  There's little
way to be _sure_ you're talking to a new one without checking.  (I
think a boolean would be sufficient for that, but I see no problem
with having an integer value instead.)

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <james.d.carlson@xxxxxxx>